See City of Monash jobs for all job descriptions and application information. Jobs are advertised there and on seek.com.au
For general information about library work, careers and employment, we recommend the site of Australian Library & Information Association.
Volunteers are often required for the Home Library Service. If you wish to help with providing this service, please contact the Positive Ageing Librarian on (03) 9560 1655
Work Experience – Library Customer Service
Monash Public Library Service offers a limited number of work experience placements each year to secondary students in Year 10 with an interest in a career in libraries and the community.
Our work experience program aims to showcase to students the diverse range of work undertaken by our library service. We hope all students will finish the week with a deeper appreciation of the services offered and their importance to the community of Monash.
The library is a great place to work.
We are looking for work experience applicants who are:
- interested in working in a team with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- positive with a “can do” attitude
- interested in using and learning about e-Technologies and online resources
- organised and focused with good attention to detail
- considering a career in libraries, community service, education and/or customer service.
If this is you, please use examples of these criteria in your application.
- at least 15 years old
- meet the Personal Capability Requirements (PDF, 281KB)
- complete a satisfactory application form with clear examples of the criteria listed above.
- be able to provide a completed Work Experience Arrangement Form for insurance purposes from your secondary educational institution
Students must wear neat appropriate clothing and footwear suitable for working in the library.
When can I apply?
Applications OPEN on Thursday 1 February 2018 and CLOSE on Friday 23 March 2018.
No late applications will be considered.
- Placements are available during the school term only.
- Due to a higher number of applications for June, July and August, placements during this time will be strictly limited.
- No places will be offered after 30 November 2018.
- Applications must be submitted by students and their school career teachers by email only.
- No applications will be accepted after the closing date.
If you meet all of the above criteria, please complete our online form.
Students who wish to apply for Community Service placement should visit their preferred library branch and speak to the Administration Officer after 1 February 2017. Email applications will not be accepted
Are you a tertiary student completing information management or library technician studies?
Contact our Service Development Librarians on (03) 9561 6211, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, to apply for industry placement.