See City of Monash jobs for all job descriptions and application information. Jobs are advertised there and on seek.com.au
For general information about library work, careers and employment, we recommend the site of Australian Library & Information Association.
Volunteers are often required for the Home Library Service. If you wish to help with providing this service, please contact the Positive Ageing Librarian on (03) 9560 1655
Monash Public Library Service (MPLS) commenced operations in 1994 with the amalgamation of the former Cities of Oakleigh and Waverley. The Library Service has
- Six library branches: Clayton, Glen Waverley, Mount Waverley, Mulgrave, Oakleigh and Wheelers Hill which are open a total of 323 hours per week
- MPLS supports two historical societies by providing facilities and staff assistance at the Monash Federation Centre in Oakleigh and the Mount Waverley Library
- A Home Library Service for people who cannot access the library
- Specialist collections in 19 languages, and
- A website at www.monlib.vic.gov.au which provides 24/7 access to our online catalogue and databases.
In 2016/17 Monash Public Library Service issued 1,809,746 loans and online transactions, including 191,245 CALD loans, had 1,022,609 customer visits, purchased 47,778 new library resources, hosted 283,574 public PC and WiFi sessions, answered 91,438 reference enquiries, and held 2,915 programs or activities with 73,297 attendees.
The Library is highly valued by the community. Each year the Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure (DTPLI) coordinates a Community Satisfaction Survey for Local Governments to measure how Victorian residents rate the performance of their Local Government. Libraries and Culture has consistently scored highly in this survey, with a score of 73 in 2017.
For more information please see the Monash Public Library Service Strategic Plan 2015-2018
Work Experience – Library Customer Service
Monash Public Library Service offers work experience to secondary students.
Our work experience program aims to showcase to students the diverse range of work undertaken by our library and helps students to explore their interests and align school studies with career aspirations.
Students wishing to complete a placement should possess:
- friendly, outgoing and energetic customer service skills
- curiosity in learning and an interest in technologies
- a community-minded response to enquiries
- a methodical and common sense approach to the maintenance of the collection; and
- the ability to engage positively with the culturally diverse population of the City of Monash
When can I apply?
For placements for 2017 – applications are closed. Applications for 2018 open on Tuesday 30 January 2018. Application forms and instructions will be available here at that date.
Placements are available during the school term only. No applications will be accepted after the closing dates.
Students who wish to apply for Community Service placement should visit their preferred library branch and speak to the Administration Officer after 1 February 2017. Email applications will not be accepted
Are you a tertiary student completing information management or library technician studies?
Contact our Service Development Librarians on (03) 9561 6211, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, to apply for industry placement.